Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Blog Post #3


I have not read John Gray’s Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, but I do know the basic idea of it – that men and women are just two different types of people, and it is this difference that impedes effective communication between them. The book has a catchy title, but I do not honestly think that a huge difference between men and women really exist. Fundamentally, I think that both sexes are pretty much the same deep down as they both want “to be seen, included, and accepted by other people” (Johnson, 55). I do; however, believe that there exists a difference between each human being because everyone has their own interests and their own tastes. I know that my experience as a white woman is different than that of a black woman, but I firmly believe that we both just want the same things in life.
Ever since I was little I have always been taught that pink was a color for girls and blue was a color for boys, Barbies were toys for girls and trucks were toys for boys, ballet was a sport for girls and football was a sport for boys, crying was for girls and “sucking-it-up” was for boys, etc. Our society likes to put separations between what is considered all right for each gender and what is not. Instead of their being an actual difference between the two sexes we are just taught that there is one, thus, we eventually start to believe it. 

2 comments:

  1. It's scary to think of the many reasons that has allowed our society to continue to teach kids from a young age what it means to be a male and what it means to be a female, we are stuck in this gender binary from birth. What can we do as a society to change this and learn to embrace and honor diversity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are truly robbed of the complexity of our humanity by being put in such limited gender roles. It really is a societal-wide tragedy that some people feel like they can't be who they are because of society's rules. It is going to take a lot of work to undo such severe cultural conditioning, but activists doing this work give me hope that it can be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete