Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Quick Blog 6 (Part 2)

Opps, I just answered the first question :(

2. I guess our society is segregated based on age because we are always trying to find ways to separate people from each other. This is just another way to make some people superior and others inferior. Young people are stereotyped as being too young to do things and older people are stereotypes as being too old to do things. I'm not really sure why young adults and middle-age adults get the privilege, but I suppose since they are seen as old enough to make their own decisions and they can still take care of themselves without assistance. 

3. Everyone could stop thinking about stereotypes of younger/older people based on their age For example, we could stop thinking that older people are helpless and younger people can't make proper decisions because of their ages. Maybe if we integrated people with different ages with each other we could grow to respect each other - not based on our ages, but based on our personalities. I'm not really sure how we could do that......I suppose by not ostracizing younger/older people from society and instead viewing them as being just as equal as a young adult/middle-age adult. 

1 comment:

  1. I truly think that if people knew what ageism was they would be more willing to listen to people about issues that pertain to elderly folks. I think people are really apathetic.

    ReplyDelete