Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Video Treatment



1.     Topic: My short video will address the issue of racism because everyone is affected by it no matter what. I just think it would be fun to do this project on racism since I really like the idea I came up with. 
2.   
            Story: I want this to be a dialogue about the Arizona Law between two people. I want one person to be in favor of the law because of racism – like they hate immigrants because they are Latinos/as. I want the other person to be against it because of the fact that it is a racist law – like they are defending immigrants. I want the non-racist person to stand up and challenge the racist person’s ideas. I want the racist person to ask why the non-racist person even cares since that person (the non-racist person) is not a Latino/a, and the non-racist person will say that it is his or her problem as well since everyone needs to stand up for justice.
3.     
      Software: I want to use Xtranormal in order to make a “movie in text”. I have never used this before. Actually, I never knew this existed until this class. Because of that I might need help, but I am not sure. I was going to use the links that JRR gave us and, if I needed, I was going to look for more information on how to use this program.
4.     
      Research: I will find news articles about illegal immigration to Arizona from Latinos/as, and I will find information about the Arizona Law.  I want to find the pros and cons of this issue and from these stances I will start the conversation. I think this will be helpful, especially in the United States, because immigration is a really hot topic. A few months ago, the Arizona Law was a very huge topic, and I think racism plays a role in people’s ideas about immigration.  
5.     
      Timeline: I will look up information about illegal immigration/the Arizona Law. I will also take notes and get an understanding of both sides of the argument. I will write the script based on the information I found. I will explore Xtranormal and figure out how to use it. I might make a little video about something random to see if it works. I will use my script and put it into Xtranormal. I will preview the video I made and make sure it fulfills all the requirements and has all the information I need. I will upload it to SlideShare or Youtube – I am not sure which one yet (I was going to pick the easiest one). I will share the uploaded video with the class.
6.    
      Message: I want people to take away that in order to stop racism others need to stand up and make it their problem. 

5 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting topic. Perhaps you can bring in how immigration is being effecting since the new presidency as well as very recently voted in congress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love that you are taking on the whole immigration issue and the Arizona law in particular. The recent shootings show how much racism and hate has been raised in AZ by this very mean-spirited and oppressive law. Racism and Xenophobia go hand in hand and need to be discussed. I look forward to viewing your video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very interesting, and I like that idea about doing mostly dialogue! I am excited to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I decided to do that topic because I was studying in Mexico when the Arizona Law fist became public. I remember going to class, and my Mexican teachers would talk about it. I did not know what the law was about, but practically every Mexican views it as a personal attack of themselves. Because I was American and Americans passed this law I did feel a little awkward going to class and hearing stories about how racist Americans are and how bad America is......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think immigration is a big issue in the US and I think this is a great idea! It's out of the box and not just the usual racism video. It's going to cover a different topic that many people ignore or just don't want to deal with so I think it's a great idea! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete