Monday, January 17, 2011

Process Piece


I thought that doing this video project about the Arizona Immigration Law would be a good idea since it is a fairly recent issue that also taps into the overall issue of illegal immigration. I started out by looking up information about this law. I tried to get both perspectives on this issue, but it was a little hard to get information against the law while it was really easy to get information for the law. I found some news articles that mentioned other states like Florida would like to adopt a similar law so it seems that a lot of political figures have decided that this is a good and useful law. I also found articles that mention the lawmakers changed the rhetoric of the law in order to avoid racial profiling and discrimination. Other people stated that they did not think the police could effectively administer this law without being racist because they have no been taught how to do that. I do not really know if this is true or not since I do not know any police officers nor am I a police officer myself. I just used news articles because that is where all the information about this issue is coming from. I tired to incorporate all this information into my video project.
I decided to make both the characters females because I wanted to. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I am a female as well, I am not sure. I picked two females that looked different so it would not be hard to determine who was who. I wanted women that were white since one was racist against Latinos/as and the other was not Latina. I thought making them as much the same would be the best. Also, I did not want to do male/female since I did not want to say anything bad about either gender. For example, I pick the male character to say racist stuff which, in turn, means I am saying that men are more racist than females or something like that. Maybe I over thought this…..I wrote the way I usually write. I did not try and make them sound “dumb” or anything like that. I think because the Xtranormal site uses robot voices the way the characters spoke was a little strange. Sometimes they would say the words I typed in a different way than the way I heard them in my head. When I previewed the video I tried to fix any mistakes and make the characters sound the way I sounded in my head. Sometimes it worked, but sometimes it did not. 
I started off the conversation as a general one, but that brought up the topic of the law pretty early on because I wanted to get into the meat and potatoes of the conversation. It was a little hard to make the conversation flow and make it not feel forced. I am not sure if it does feel forced, but I tried to make it as casual as possible. Towards the end I needed to wrap it up and I kind of ended it abruptly, but I was not sure of a good way to end it. It was sort of hard to mix racism with the law. I think I wanted to do two things….like general racism towards Latinos/as and racism of the Arizona Immigration Law. I think I was not really prepared to write about racism of the Arizona Immigration Law because a lot of the articles I read did not really touch upon that topic too much. I suppose I could have done more research, but I think I have a lot of information, maybe just not very good information.



Resources:












No comments:

Post a Comment