Thursday, January 13, 2011

Whip My Hair

I first heard this song on the radio a couple of weeks ago, and I thought this was the most annoying song in the world! I whip my hair back and worth....seriously? I can't believe someone decided to produce this!


Anyway, I think the lyrics aren't so bad....I didn't see anything so concerning except perhaps kids could grow up with ideas like "pay no attention to them haters cuz we whip em off/and we ain't doing nothing wrong/so don't tell me nothing/i'm just tryna have fun/so keep the party jumping". Perhaps children will think that they can do whatever they like since it isn't "so" bad. Thus, they won't listen to their parents or older people unless they feel like it. I tried to find some sexual undertones in the lyrics, but I didn't see anything that really stuck out for me. Hmmm, actually, perhaps when she says "I wish my hair back and forth" she is talking about dancing in a sexy way. I figured it was dancing, but like innocent dancing, but now I'm not so sure. 


I liked her lyrics: "don't let haters keep me off my grind/keep my head up i know I'll be fine/keep fighting until i get there/when i'm down and i feel like giving up i think again" because it shows that you shouldn't give up on things that you believe in and that perhaps you will have to fight for what you want. 


I noticed in the video that Willow Smith is acting a little older than what she really is. I think she is just like 10 or 12 years old, but it seems like she is somewhat older. Actually, her lyrics like "haters" and "swagger" -- what 10 year old has serious "haters" and a "swagger". I don't even think I have those things and I'm way older than she is!


I also noticed that Willow Smith does some things during the video where she looks like an idiot. Like she would have her hand to her face and look up.....perhaps that is suggesting that little girls aren't too smart. Willow Smith and some other women (they were dancers) also danced in some provocative ways....like with their legs open and wearing tight clothes (like that one dancer in red). 


To be honest, I'm not sure how race intersects with this. If you guys have an idea I would love to hear it. Do you think that African-American women are sexualized more than other women? That's sorta the only idea I could come up with.....

2 comments:

  1. I like the point you brought up about how the major line of the song "whip my hair back and forth" could be considered possibly a more intimate and sexual line for someone of her age. I never thought of that. I also couldn't really find any racism in the song lyrics except the one line about "whether its black stars black cars I'm feeling it". I'm not sure if that could be considered racism or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't really know what she means by that line: "whether it's black stars black cars I'm feeling it". I'm a little confused about it.....

    ReplyDelete